Monday, May 4, 2009

Summer plans & goals


Rose
Originally uploaded by paperspirit

Hubby and I have vacation plans for July! I'm very excited - we will be going to a convention in Las Vegas that looks like a blast. It's called The Amazing Meeting, and will be filled with science-y types and skeptics. I can hardly wait!

But before July arrives, I have some goals I'd really like to accomplish:
- Lose some weight in a healthy way
- Make some new clothes (skirts and tops)

For the first goal, there are some mini-goals that I think will help me accomplish that:
- Cut out soft drinks
- Watch my portion size with meals
- Pack my own lunch for work
- Exercise at least 30 min/day

I do have a gym membership, and I need to actually use it. They have a pool, and I enjoy swimming. It's also easy on the joints, which I think is a good thing. I think that will be my primary non-walking/gym exercise, provided my suit still fits me!

I'm planning on using part of my lunch hour to walk at the parks around here, in order to get in some extra exercise as well as Vitamin Sunshine.

Losing weight at the same time as making my own clothing might make that challenging, but hey, I guess can always alter them if they get too loose! I'd really like to have a wardrobe that's more individual. I'm so tired of jeans and t-shirts!

For this goal, I've ordered a couple of books that I hope will provide some good ideas - "Weekend Sewing" by Heather Ross, and "Sew What! Skirts" by Francesca DenHartog. I also have some links I've saved to some online tutorials. I want to make at least 3 skirts and 3 tops for the summer.

Another worthy goal for this summer - get back into the habit of using my own bag for purchases. I've been lax in this lately. I'm good at refusing a bag if I don't need one, but when I do need one, I often have forgotten my own. But now I have a nylon shopping bag that folds up into a little teeny bag to keep in my purse, so now I always have a bag with me if I have my purse.

Do you have any of your own summer goals?

0 comments: