Thursday, February 5, 2009

My fabric stash

I just started following the blog Sew Mama Sew (there's a doll quilt tutorial there I'm soooo starting tomorrow). Today they had a survey, and there's a nice little fat quarter prize involved, so what the hey! :) Plus it will get me actually writing something substantial here.

* What do you usually sew?
Doll clothing (for Blythe dolls mostly), miscellaneous small projects, ren faire garb

* When you shop for fabric, what size cuts do you usually buy? (i.e. If you see something beautiful, but you don’t have a use for it right away, how much do you buy?)
If I really like it, a half yard. If I LOOOOOVE it, a yard. I make small stuff, don't need more than that! If it comes in fat quarters, I buy one if I like it, 2 if I looooove it.

* Do you buy on impulse or do you go out looking for something you need?
A mix - mostly, I impulse buy, but sometimes I have a theme for a swap that sends me out on a mission.

* Are you a pre-washer? If you are, do you wash your fabric before you need it, or only when you’re ready to use it?
I'm a pre-washer. I don't want dye staining my dollies, or anyone else's dolls.

* Do you iron it?
Yes, though not always immediately. I try to do it as soon as it comes out of the dryer.

* How do you sort it? (color, print size, collection, etc.)
Theoretically by color. In practice... not so much organization :)

* Do you have any special folding techniques?
I generally try to fold them to about the same size as fat quarter bundles tend to be folded to.

* How do you store your fabric?
Some of it is in the cubes shown here:
Craft Room: Storage and Cutting Table

The rest is in the closet on a sweater shelf thing that hangs from the closet pole.

* What tips do you have for building up a well-rounded stash?
Have a mother who has been stashing fabric since before you were born. Raid her stash frequently.

* When do you say enough is enough?
When you start feeling uncomfortable and guilty. :D

* What are some of your favorite stash-busting projects?
Empire waist dolly dresses!

* Do you have a current favorite print in your stash? Let’s see it!
Fabric Stash - Woodland fungi and critters

I have two yards. I love it so much I can't decide what to make it into.

* What’s your definition of the perfect stash?
Neat, well organized, so that when I'm ready to work I can just grab it and start working.

0 comments: